I know some teachers get a bit mushy during this time, but that's not really my style. I'm more of the jump up and down, dance the summer happy dance, hootin' and hollerin' kind of teacher.
Don't get me wrong, I will miss the children I have just spent 175 days with. I will miss hearing them laugh, listening to their stories, and watching their face light up with they realize they understand a new concept. But, by the time summer comes around I'm ready, they are ready, and it's time for us to part our ways.
Before they leave though I always give them a bag of goodies to remind them of a few important things.
- a ruler to remind them there will always be rules to follow
- a pencil to remind them there is still much to learn
- an eraser so they know that they will make mistakes and it is okay
- hugs and kisses so they know that they are loved
- a stick of gum to encourage them to stick with it and they can accomplish anything
- a starburst to remind them to keep on shining
Then I went to Happy Hour with the other teachers to celebrate this joyous occasion!!